Austenasia is constitutional monarchy ruled by the House of Austen. Emperor Jonathan I is head of state as Monarch, and wields vast executive, legislative, and judicial powers.
Most of Austenasia is divided between inhabited Towns and uninhabited Territories. Towns are governed by a locally elected council, and also elect a Representative. The House of Representatives, consisting of one from each Town, forms Austenasia’s sole parliamentary house.
The Prime Minister is elected from among the Representatives by the Austenasian people every four years. The Prime Minister appoints ministers to Cabinet, and co-ordinates their activities in accordance with policies decided by himself and the Monarch. The Prime Minister also selects the Consuls, two annually appointed officials who serve as the Empire’s highest judicial authorities.
Territories are administered by Governors. A governor is a person living near to a Territory (usually the person who owns and/or claimed the land for Austenasia), and is responsible for maintaining the Empire’s claim over the land and enforcing Austenasian law.
The Empire of Austenasia also contains thirteen Crown Dependencies. These are claims which can be either inhabited or uninhabited, but which fall under the direct and absolute authority of the Monarch, with Governing Commissioners usually being appointed to represent him and exercise his power. Regular Austenasian law does not apply to Crown Dependencies unless explicitly stated, with the Governing Commissioners exercising near-absolute domestic power.
The members of the Austenasian central government are as follows:
(Those in italics use their “secondary title”, a formal Latin style, when referred to in their capacity as the respective office-holder.)
- Monarch: HIM Emperor Jonathan I
- Prime Minister: Lord William Wilson, Duke of Taysha
- Deputy Prime Minister: Bradley, King of the Romans
- First Consul: Lucinus Mephistopheles
- Second Consul: Antonius Clericii Eques
- Princeps Senatus: Bradley Rex Romanorum
- Home Secretary: Lord Andrew Creed, Baron of Corinium Terentium
- Chancellor: HIM Emperor Jonathan I
- Chief Ambassador: HIM Emperor Jonathan I
- Secretary-General: Lord William Wilson, Duke of Taysha
- Minister of Defence: Lord Hunter Prater, Duke of Dixie
- Minister for Culture: Lord Sander Koff, Duke of Aesti
- Attorney General: Sir Anthony Clark, KOB